The Master of Science degree with a major in management and human resources provides a flexible part-time or full-time evening format, allowing even fully employed students to complete the program. The program is a good fit for students from any background who want to lead and manage employees and prepare for moving into management positions in their industry or field, as well as those who plan to pursue their career in the area of human resource management. Applicants are strongly encouraged to maintain employment with an organization throughout the duration of this program.
Coursework Only Without Comprehensive Exams Option
Applications are accepted for fall semester only. The application deadline for fall semester is February 1. Applications by United States citizens and permanent residents received after February 1 will be considered as space allows.
To be considered for admission, the applicant’s file must be complete
- The online application submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Transcripts of prior college work
- An MS Management and HR program application
- Applicant resume
- Personal Statement
- Two completed applicant recommendation forms (professional and/or academic references only)
- Optional: Either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score report
- Additional information, including the TOEFL score (Test of English as a Foreign Language), may be required by the Office of Graduate Admissions for international candidates.
For admission to the Management and Human Resources Master of Science degree program, consideration is given to
- Applicant’s academic record with particular attention to the last two years of undergraduate work and previous graduate studies (where applicable)
- Quality of work experience and other activities that demonstrate potential for leadership
- Scores on the GMAT or GRE (if provided) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for those whose native language is not English.
- Fit of career goals and intentions with program content
- Recommendations from professors and/or work supervisors
- The admission decision is based on all factors that make up the total application; therefore, there is no automatic cut-off for either grade point averages or GMAT/GRE scores. However, admission preference is given to applicants with full-time work experience after obtaining the undergraduate degree.
Applicants to the Management and Human Resources Master of Science degree program are encouraged, but not required, to submit valid GRE or GMAT scores as part of the application process, especially for those who wish to be considered for merit-based Graduate Research or Teaching Assistantships. Additionally, the program admissions committee reserves the right to request that the applicant take the GRE or GMAT, if more information about academic potential is needed after the admissions file is reviewed.
There are no specific course prerequisites for admission; however, it is recommended that non-business undergraduates take an introductory course in accounting, finance, Excel, and statistics prior to entry.
- Courses may not be repeated.
Credit Hours Required
30 graduate credit hours
Additional Course Requirements
- As part of MGT 556 : Strategic Management Capstone Experience, students must complete an integrative Capstone experience, consisting of case studies and/or other activities requiring synthesis and application of knowledge from all areas of the program curriculum and demonstration of strategic leadership skills.
- As determined by the program director for the Management and Human Resources Master of Science program, students may be eligible to complete up to 6 graduate credit hours of MGT 598 Leadership Practicum/Project as substitute for MGT 555 and MGT 556 . Students who completed the accredited Tennessee Certified Public Manager (CPM) program (or an accredited CPM from another state) no more than three years prior to their admission to the Management and Human Resources Master of Science degree program are eligible for MGT 598 .