Mar 24, 2023
Intended primarily for teachers
Coursework Only with Comprehensive Exam
- Before admission to the Master of Mathematics program, preference will be given to applicants who have either
- Certification for teaching secondary mathematics in at least one state, or
- Three years of elementary school, secondary school, or community college teaching experience. In exceptional circumstances, part of this admission requirement might be satisfied concurrently with coursework, or
- The three years of teaching experiences might be satisfied concurrently with coursework
- Applicants must have successfully completed one year of calculus (141-142 or equivalent) and a mathematics course beyond the calculus sequence.
Credit Hours Required
30 graduate credit hours
- Complete 30 graduate credit hours of coursework of which 21 must be at the 500-level. The coursework must include
- MATH 503 or MATH 504
- MATH 505
- MATH 506
- MATH 507 or MATH 508
- MATH 509
- MATH 510
- MATH 530 or MATH 550
- Any graduate course in the MM program can serve as a source of ideas for portfolio projects. Students can also elect to take MATH 400 or MATH 460 . At most, 6 credit hours may be in areas outside the Department of Mathematics [e.g., Educational Administration (EDAM), Educational Psychology (EDPY), Instructional Technology (IT), Theory and Practice in Teacher Education (TPTE)] selected in consultation with the advisor.
- Pass a final portfolio examination upon completion of all coursework.