Dr. Pat Akos, Associate Vice Provost and Executive Director
Dr. Francis Canedo, Director
Dr. James Williams, Faculty Director
Haslam Leadership Scholars is an intimate, four-year cohort-based enrichment program that honors the legacy of the Haslam family in developing community-minded and intellectually-gifted young leaders through a series of transformational learning experiences. Scholars benefit from an exclusive academic curriculum focused on leadership and personal development, a cohort study abroad experience, and Tennessee internship experience.
The Haslam Leadership Scholars curriculum includes a series of one-credit hour leadership courses, a group capstone project, and a two-semester sequence of in-depth, independent research through which scholars complete a substantial scholarly, scientific, or artistic project.
Scholars are expected to augment the Haslam Leadership Scholars curriculum with select honors coursework as appropriate for their academic and professional goals. Haslam Scholars are encouraged to participate in one or more of the University of Tennessee’s many specialized college or departmental honors programs.
- Professional Development: scholars will participate in regular cohort meetings and workshops focused on different professional development topics
- Program Engagement: scholars will participate in Haslam Leadership Scholars programming including select speaker events and service activities
- Internship: scholars will participate in an internship that aligns with their academic interests and professional goals
- Presentation: scholars will present to a public/external audience some aspect of research or creative activity through a conference presentation, a professional publication, a public exhibition, etc. at least once prior to graduation
Haslam Scholars are expected to make timely progress towards honors graduation while maintaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. Students not meeting expectations will be required to complete additional academic coaching and support.
Admission to Haslam Leadership Scholars is available to entering first-year students. Scholars will have demonstrated knowledge and experience in leadership, service-learning, and civic engagement and are prepared to use such knowledge to contribute to the state of Tennessee.
* Meets Volunteer Core Requirements .