Jun 20, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Nuclear Engineering Major, BS in Nuclear Engineering

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Tickle College of Engineering



The first two years of the curriculum are considered to be lower-division and the two remaining years upper-division. Students must apply for progression to departmental upper-division courses, which depends on academic performance. Factors considered include overall grade point average, performance in selected lower-division courses and evidence of orderly progression through the prescribed curriculum.

Full Status

A lower-division student may apply for progression to upper-division after completing CHEM 122 * and CHEM 123 * or CHEM 128 *, CHEM 132 * and CHEM 133 * or CHEM 138 *; MATH 132 * or MATH 141 * or MATH 147 *, MATH 142 * or MATH 148 *, MATH 231  or MATH 237 ; EF 151 * or EF 157 *, EF 152 * or EF 158 *; and PHYS 231 *, with a grade of C or better in each, and an overall GPA of at least 2.5.

Provisional Status

Students who have completed CHEM 122 * and CHEM 123 * or CHEM 128 *, CHEM 132 * and CHEM 133 * or CHEM 138 *; MATH 132 * or MATH 141 * or MATH 147 *, MATH 142 * or MATH 148 *, MATH 231  or MATH 237 ; EF 151 * or EF 157 *, EF 152 * or EF 158 *, and PHYS 231 * with a grade of C or better and have an overall GPA between 2.0 and 2.5 may apply for provisional status. The granting of provisional status is based on the availability of space in departmental programs after full status students have been accommodated. Provisional status students are required to demonstrate their ability to perform satisfactorily in upper-division by attaining a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the first 9 hours of 300-level required nuclear engineering courses. Award of upper-division full status is dependent upon this performance. Students who have not progressed to upper-division will be dropped from departmental courses.

Nuclear Engineering Graduation Requirements

Students are strongly recommended to meet with their advisor every semester. Students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point of at least 2.0 in all nuclear engineering courses taken at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, used to satisfy the graduation requirements. No more than four credit hours of required nuclear engineering courses in which a C- or lower is the highest grade earned may be counted toward graduation. This is in addition to the university’s graduation requirements.

uTrack Requirements

Universal Tracking (uTrack) is an academic monitoring system designed to help students stay on track for timely graduation. In order to remain on track, students must complete the minimum requirements for each tracking semester, known as milestones. Milestones include successful completion of specified courses and/or attainment of a minimum GPA. uTrack requirements only affect full-time, degree-seeking students.

Term 1

Credit Hours 15-16

Term 1 Milestone Notes

     One course from:

Term 2

Credit Hours 15

Term 2 Milestone Notes

Term 5

Credit Hours 16

Term 6 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Term 7

Credit Hours 15

Term 7 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Term 8

Credit Hours 15

Term 8 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Total Credit Hours 124


  1. Chosen from the Volunteer Core  list.
  2. Technical electives are selected from upper-division mathematics, chemistry, physics, and engineering courses and must be preapproved by the department. Courses in Nuclear Engineering, other than 500, 502 and 598, may also be used as technical electives.

* Meets Volunteer Core Requirements .

Nuclear Engineering Major – Honors Program

In addition to satisfying the requirements described for the nuclear engineering major, candidates for the honors program in nuclear engineering must also complete the following requirements.

  • Maintain an overall GPA of 3.4.
  • Four 100- or 200-level honors courses** (14 hours minimum, at least two courses must be from Materials Science and Engineering, Engineering Fundamentals, Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, or MSE 207 ).
  • Complete two upper-division honors courses in nuclear engineering (NE 347 , NE 357 , NE 367 , NE 427 , NE 447 , or NE 467 ).
  • Satisfy the Breadth Requirements for the Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program.
* Meets Volunteer Core Requirements .
** While most students fulfill this requirement with 100- and 200-level courses, students may substitute upper level courses on approval of the Honors faculty.

Nuclear Engineering Major – Five-Year BS/MS Program

The department offers a Five-Year BS-MS program with a BS (major in nuclear engineering) and an MS (major in nuclear engineering) for qualified students. The primary component of the program is that qualified students may take up to 6 hours of approved graduate courses for their senior undergraduate electives and have them count toward both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the University of Tennessee. This program is designed for students attending the University of Tennessee for their Master of Science degree because other universities may not accept these courses for graduate credit since they were used to satisfy requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree. Significant components of the program are:

  • Students must have an overall GPA of 3.4 in required coursework. Conditional admission to the five-year program may be granted after completion of 63 hours of required coursework, while full admission may be granted after the completion of 93 hours of required coursework with a minimum overall GPA of 3.4.

  • Students must at least be conditionally admitted to the program prior to taking graduate courses for both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees. All courses taken for graduate credit must be approved by the director of graduate studies. Students admitted to the program must request permission from the Graduate School to take approved courses for graduate credit.

  • Students admitted to the program must also follow the normal procedure for admission to the Graduate School. Admission of students into this program must be approved by the department and the Graduate School. Students will not be eligible for assistantships until they are enrolled as graduate-level students in the Graduate School.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Tickle College of Engineering