Jun 20, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Chemical Engineering Major, BS in Chemical Engineering – Biomolecular Engineering Concentration

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Tickle College of Engineering


Progression to Upper-Division

Progression of students in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering to departmental courses numbered 310 and above is competitive and is based on capacity. Factors considered include overall grade point average, performance in selected lower-division courses, and evidence of satisfactory and orderly progress through the prescribed curriculum.

Upper-Division Status

A lower-division student must apply for progression to upper-division status after completing CBE 201 , CBE 235 , CBE 240 , and CBE 250  with a grade of C– or better in each course and an overall GPA of 2.3 or higher.

Provisional Status

Students who have completed CBE 201 , CBE 235 , CBE 240 , and CBE 250  with an overall GPA of at least 2.3 may apply for provisional status. The granting of provisional upper-division status is based on availability of space in the departmental programs after upper-division status students have been accommodated. Provisional students are required to demonstrate the ability to perform satisfactorily in upper-division courses by completing a total of seven departmental courses with a grade of C– or better in each course (including the four required for upper-division status). Permission to continue with upper-division classes depends on this minimum level of performance.

Any student with an overall GPA below 2.1 will not be admitted to upper-division chemical and biomolecular engineering courses. Students who have not been admitted to upper-division or provisional status will be dropped from upper-division departmental classes.

uTrack Requirements

Universal Tracking (uTrack) is an academic monitoring system designed to help students stay on track for timely graduation. In order to remain on track, students must complete the minimum requirements for each tracking semester, known as milestones. Milestones include successful completion of specified courses and/or attainment of a minimum GPA. uTrack requirements only affect full-time, degree-seeking students.

Term 1

Credit Hours 15-16

Term 1 Milestone Notes

Term 2

Credit Hours 15

Term 2 Milestone Notes

Credit Hours 16

Term 6 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Credit Hours 17

Term 7 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Term 8

Credit Hours 15

Term 8 Milestone Notes

  • No milestones

Total Credit Hours 127-128


  1. Bio Option I: BCMB 230 , BCMB 311 , BCMB 321 , BCMB 402 , BCMB 415 ; BIOL 220 -BIOL 229 , BIOL 260 -BIOL 269 , BIOL 280 CBE 458 ; MICR 210 *, MICR 321 , MICR 329 .

* Meets Volunteer Core Requirements .

Biomolecular Engineering – Honors Concentration

In addition to satisfying the requirements for the chemical engineering major, candidates for the honors biomolecular engineering concentration must also complete the following requirements:

  • Maintain a 3.4 cumulative GPA and an average 3.4 GPA in all CBE courses.
  • Four 100- or 200-level honors courses** (14 hours minimum, at least two courses must be from Materials Science and Engineering, Engineering Fundamentals, Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, or MSE 117 - Honors: Materials Chemistry  or MSE 207 ).
  • Complete two upper-division honors courses in chemical engineering (CBE 408 , CBE 447 , CBE 458 ,  *, CBE 498 , or a CBE honors-by-contract course).
  • Satisfy the Breadth Requirements for the Cook Grand Challenge Honors Program.


* Meets Volunteer Core Requirements .
** While most students fulfill this requirement with 100- and 200-level courses, students may substitute upper level courses on approval of the Honors faculty.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Tickle College of Engineering