Feb 27, 2024
The graduate certificate in Gifted Education PreK-12 is intended for those seeking to develop a knowledge and skill base that undergirds effective, equity focused teaching of PreK-12 students with a range of exceptionalities and from a range of backgrounds. A graduate certificate in Gifted Education PreK-12 is appropriate for PreK-12 teachers endorsed in areas outside of exceptional education, PreK-12 teachers endorsed in an area of exceptional education at the undergraduate level, administrators and supervisors aspiring to lead schools or serve in roles supporting special student populations, non-endorsed professionals whose work (e.g., museum, public-service agency) interfaces significantly with PreK-12 education, and those interested in home schooling. Coursework in this certificate is designed to lead to an additional endorsement in Gifted Education PreK-12 for teachers licensed in other areas in the state of Tennessee, pending transcript review, passing appropriate licensure exams and approval of the faculty advisor.
Graduate Certificate Type
- Applicants can be currently admitted to a degree program at UTK or can apply solely for the Gifted Education PreK-12 Graduate Certificate through the Graduate Admissions Office.
- All 12 credit hours of graduate coursework must be completed at the University of Tennessee within five years of applying for a certificate.
- Students must maintain a 3.50 graduate GPA in all certificate courses in the program and complete the requirements within five years of applying for a certificate.
Credit Hours Required
12 graduate credit hours
To receive the certificate, students must:
1) complete the Graduate Certificate Course Verification Form (located on the Graduate School webpage under the Forms Central tab) and
2) through MyUTK, apply to graduate from the certificate program.