Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Mar 30, 2023  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Civil Engineering Major, BS in Civil Engineering

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Engineering

Requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering


First Year

Hours Credit

CHEM 120 * or CHEM 128 *, CHEM 130 * or CHEM 138 * 8
ENGL 101 * or ENGL 118 *, ENGL 102 * 6
EF 105 , EF 151 * or EF 157 *, EF 152 * or EF 158 * 9
MATH 141 * or MATH 147 *, MATH 142 * or MATH 148 * 8

Second Year

 * or  *   4
CE 205 *(OC, WC), CE 210 , CE 262 ,   12
MATH 231 , MATH 241  or MATH 247  7
2Science Elective 3-4
STAT 251  3

Third Year

Arts and Humanities  Elective* 3
 , CE 305 ,  , CE 321 , CE 331 , CE 355 ,  , CE 381 ,   24
Cultures and Civilizations  Electives* 6

Fourth Year

 , CE 401 , CE 442  7
1Civil Engineering Concentration Electives 6
1Civil Engineering Concentration Labs 2
3Civil Engineering/Technical Electives 9
Arts and Humanities  Elective* 3
Social Sciences  Elective*  3

Total 126-127

*Meets University General Education Requirement . All electives must be pre-approved by the advisor and the department head.
1 Students must select 2 of the following concentration sequences: environmental sequence (CE 481 , CE 482 ), geotechnical sequence (CE 430 , CE 432 ), structural sequence (CE 461 , CE 463 ), transportation sequence (CE 455 , CE 456 ), water resources sequence (CE 494 , CE 496 ).
2 Students select from BIOL 101 , BIOL 102 , BIOL 130 , BIOL 138 , BIOL 140 , BIOL 148 ; Environmental Engineering 513; ESS 462 ; GEOG 131 , GEOG 410 ; GEOL 101 , GEOL 103 , GEOL 107 .
3 Must be approved by advisor.

Five-Year BS/MS Program

The department offers a 5-year BS-MS program with a BS (major in civil engineering) and an MS (major in civil engineering or environmental engineering) for qualified students. The primary component of the program is that qualified students may take up to 6 hours of approved graduate courses for their senior undergraduate electives and have them count toward both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees at the University of Tennessee. This program is designed for students attending the University of Tennessee for their Master of Science degree because other universities may not accept these courses for graduate credit since they were used to satisfy requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree. Significant components of the program are:

  • Students must have an overall GPA of 3.4 in required course work. Conditional admission to the 5-year program may be granted after completion of 65 hours of required course work, while full admission may be granted after the completion of 96 hours of required course work with a minimum GPA of 3.4.
  • Admission must be approved by the department and the Graduate School.
  • Students must at least be conditionally admitted to the program prior to taking courses that receive credit for both the BS and MS degrees. All courses taken for graduate credit must be approved by the graduate program director. Students admitted to the program must request permission from the Graduate School to take approved courses for graduate credit. Students admitted to the program must also follow the normal procedure for admission to the Graduate School.
  • Students will not be eligible for assistantships until they are enrolled as graduate-level students in the Graduate School.

Honors Concentration

Students who wish to pursue the honors civil engineering concentration will normally be part of the Chancellor’s Honors Program. Candidates for the honors civil engineering concentration must complete the following requirements.

  • First-year courses for honors concentrations in the engineering majors.
  • Two upper-division honors courses in civil engineering via honors-by-contract or CE 407 .
  • If participating in only the Chancellor’s Honors Program, the Honors-by-Contract paperwork goes to the Chancellor’s Honors Office on campus during the first 10 days of the semester. If participating in Engineering Honors and not Chancellor’s Honors, the Honors-by-Contract paperwork is submitted the first 10 days of the semester to the engineering major department. If participating in both Chancellor’s and Engineering Honors, the Honors-by-Contract paperwork is submitted to both areas.
  • A minimum of 3-credit hours of an honors senior project course. This requirement may be satisfied by CE 407  or by enrolling in the honors section of the senior capstone design course (CE 400 ).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Engineering