2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog 
    May 29, 2020  
2010-2011 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

English Language Learning Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences

Students interested in becoming PreK-12 English as a Second Language teachers typically earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in English, linguistics, or a world language (i.e., Asian Studies, French, German, Spanish). As part of their degree, they should take ENGL 477  or ENGL 372 ; ENGL 471  (Sociolinguistics) is highly recommended. While completing requirements for the baccalaureate degree, students are encouraged to matriculate a minor in English language learning.

Maintaining Good Academic Standing in Teacher Education

To maintain good standing in the Teacher Education Program and to qualify for a degree and/or licensure as a teacher, students must perform adequately both in the university classroom and in the school(s). Students must maintain a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA, establish and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in their major, and maintain a minimum 2.8 GPA (course grade C or higher required) in professional education courses.

Complete information on the teacher licensure program is available through the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences’ website (http://cehhs.utk.edu/), the college’s Office of Student Services – Bailey Education Complex, A332, or from teaching area faculty.

Post-Baccalaureate Professional Year (24 graduate hours)

The following courses are taken during the post-baccalaureate professional year. Students must apply to and be admitted by the Graduate School prior to registration. Teacher licensure is granted at the successful completion of the professional year; 12 additional hours may be taken to complete the master’s degree. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.

ELED 504
FLED 588
TPTE 574
TPTE 575
TPTE 591

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences