Dec 04, 2023
The Master of Science in Landscape Architecture (MSLA) is intended for students interested in developing greater knowledge and understanding of landscape-related topics and skills such as design thinking, design communication, digital technologies, and urban ecology. Students engage in an intensive one-year experience to develop a wide range of technical skills and conceptual frameworks. This degree will not prepare students for professional licensure.
Coursework Only Without Comprehensive Exam
- Submit online application to the Graduate Admissions Office. In addition to meeting the Graduate School’s minimum requirements, the following specific admission requirements must be met.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required or the international equivalent. International applicants must have an equivalent four-year degree and 3.00 GPA.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Letter of Intent. This letter should indicate why the applicant is interested in pursuing a degree in Landscape Architecture at UT. Students are strongly encouraged to touch on the following points:
- cite examples of your experiences that demonstrate the personal ambition necessary to succeed in landscape architecture at UT.
- discuss your primary motivations for pursuing a degree in landscape architecture.
- explain why the School of Landscape Architecture at UT is the preferred program for you to launch a career in landscape architecture.
- The general portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required. Applicants choosing to take the test should take the GRE at least one semester in advance of application for admission.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Recommended overall TOEFL scores are a minimum of 92.
- A personal onsite interview is desirable but not mandatory.
- MSLA applicants are also strongly encouraged to submit the following.
- Examples of creative work and/or research – particularly of a graphic or visual nature.
- Examples of previous writings or research. The applicant’s role in any collaborative work submitted must be clearly identified.
- Candidates with a GPA less than 3.00 may be considered for conditional admission when evidence of exceptional promise is identified.
Credit Hours Required
30 graduate credit hours
Additional Course Requirements
- 3 credit hours graduate elective course work approved by primary advisor or school director.
A typical program is completed in the following schedule: