Dec 08, 2023
Concentrations (Optional) and Options Available
Automotive Manufacturing (Thesis Option, Project Option, Coursework Only Without Comprehensive Exam Option)
Systems Engineering (Thesis Option, Project Option, Coursework Only Without Comprehensive Exam Option)
- Applicants must first submit a formal Graduate Application for Admission. In addition to the minimum requirements of the Graduate Council, the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering requires.
- Three rating forms or letters of reference.
- The Departmental Graduate Committee sets any prerequisite courses or other measures that apply to the particular situation of the applicant. The department and the Office of Graduate Admissions must be notified of any change in the entering date after admission has been granted.
Credit Hours Required
32 graduate credit hours
Additional Course Requirements
- Selection of a concentration is optional. They represent areas of research within the program. Courses are selected in consultation with the major professor and guidance committee
- Automotive Manufacturing
- Engineering Management
- Systems Engineering
- Thesis Option: Preparation and defense of a thesis
- Project Option: Preparation and defense of a project report
Five-Year BS/MS Program – Industrial Engineering Major, MS
The department offers a 5-year BS/MS program with a major in industrial engineering for qualified students. The primary component of the program for a qualified student may take up to 9 credit hours of approved graduate courses for the senior undergraduate courses. These courses will count toward both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees at UT. This program is designed for students attending UT for their Master of Science degree because other universities may not accept these courses for graduate credit since they were used to satisfy requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree. The student may also take an additional 9 credit hours of courses, while working towards the bachelor’s, which will count only for the master’s degree. Qualifications for admission to the program are:
- The student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.40 to be considered for admission to the program. Conditional admission may be granted to the student after completing 65 credit hours of the required coursework.
- Conditional admission must be obtained before taking a graduate course that is to be used to satisfy the requirements of both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Students admitted to the program must request permission from the Graduate School to take approved courses for graduate credit. Students admitted to the program must also follow the normal procedure for admission to the Graduate School.
- Full admission may be granted after completing 96 credit hours of required coursework as previously defined and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.40 in the required coursework.
- Conditional and full admission of a student into this program must be approved by the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, the Tickle College of Engineering, and the Graduate School.
- Full admission must be obtained before taking graduate courses that are to be used to satisfy the requirements for only the master’s degree. These courses must be identified in advance, in consultation with the proposed master’s advisor or the Industrial Engineering Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Any course taken for graduate credit prior to satisfying all requirements for the bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering must be approved by the department head or designee and the Graduate School.
- Students will not be eligible for graduate assistantships until they are enrolled as graduate-level students in the Graduate School.