Feb 27, 2024
The Master of Fine Arts is the terminal degree in studio art.
Concentrations (Required) and Options Available
Time-Based Art (Project)
- To become a candidate, the applicant must be admitted by the Office of Graduate Admissions and approved by the School of Art. In addition to the minimum admission requirements, the School of Art specifically requires the following.
- A detailed letter of intent including statement requesting assistantship, if desired.
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors or professionals in the field.
- An undergraduate major in art or evidence of equivalent proficiency.
- A portfolio to be evaluated by the faculty.
- First-year evaluation: At the end of the first two semesters in residence, the student must present a portfolio for evaluation by the faculty and receive permission to continue in the program.
- Second-year evaluation: With completion of all coursework, the student must present work for evaluation by the faculty and receive permission to register for Project in Lieu of Thesis.
- If, in a review by the student’s major area faculty, the student’s progress is deemed insufficient, the faculty may recommend a work period without advancement toward the degree, probation with specific goals set for a specific time, or dismissal.
Credit Hours Required
60 graduate credit hours
A minimum of 60 credit hours to include the following:
- In lieu of a comprehensive exam, MFA students must complete a Project in Lieu of Thesis with written statements and accompanying documentation.