Sep 27, 2023
The graduate certificate in American Sign Language Education serves two purposes. First, it is for persons interested in teaching ASL at the postsecondary level. The coursework is aligned with what is required by the American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA) for certification.
Second, the graduate certificate is for those who would like to add an ASL Education PreK-12 endorsement to an existing TN license. Persons would take all required graduate courses (ASL 521, ASL 422, ASL 435) and two graduate elective courses (ASL 455, ASL 545) for a minimum of 15 graduate credit hours.
Graduate Certificate Type
- Applicants can be currently admitted to a degree program at UTK or can apply solely for the ASL Education Certificate through the Graduate Admissions Office.
- Applicants must demonstrate an advanced or higher level on the Sign Language Proficiency Inventory (SLPI) or a 3+ or higher on the American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI).
- Students must be admitted to the certificate program prior to completing six graduate credit hours toward the certificate.
- Students must maintain a 3.00 graduate grade point average (GPA) once in the program and complete the requirements of the certificate to be awarded the graduate certificate.
Credit Hours Required
- 12-15 graduate credit hours
- 12 graduate credit hours to meet American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA) requirements.
- 15 graduate credit hours to add an ASL Education PreK-12 endorsement to an existing TN teaching license.
- For students earning a graduate degree concurrently with the ASL Education graduate certificate, at least three (3) credit hours for the certificate must be earned outside of the requirements of the degree.
- For those students who are concurrently enrolled in a Master’s or doctorate program, the graduate certificate will be awarded the same semester as the degree. Certificates will be awarded at the normal times when degrees are awarded.
- For independent, stand-alone graduate certificates (those when a student is not concurrently enrolled in a Master or doctorate program), the certificate is awarded upon completion of required courses and submission of application for graduation.
- Persons adding the ASL Education PreK-12 endorsement to an existing TN license must complete all required and elective courses, including ASL 521 , ASL 422 , ASL 435 , ASL 455 , and ASL 545 .
- To receive the certificate, students must:
1) complete the Graduate Certificate Course Verification Form (located on the Graduate School webpage under the Forms Central tab) and
2) through MyUTK, apply to graduate from the certificate program.