Feb 24, 2024
The Interdisciplinary Graduate Minor in Computational Science (IGMCS) is a formal academic program at the University of Tennessee established to enable students to earn a minor in computational science simultaneously with a master’s or doctorate in another academic discipline. The program is open to graduate students in all participating departments (http://igmcs.utk.edu/departments). The program is administered by a committee composed of representatives, including program faculty, from each participating department.
Any student pursuing a master’s or PhD with a major in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mathematics, ecology and evolutionary biology, anthropology, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, microbiology, materials science and engineering, geography, industrial engineering, physics, chemistry, biochemistry and cellular and molecular biology, information sciences, or statistics can receive a minor in computational science by completing the appropriate IGMCS requirements. For further information, visit the IGMCS web site.
Credit Hours Required
Master students: 9 graduate credit hours
Doctoral students: 15 graduate credit hours
- Students take eligible courses from three disciplines associated with the minor (http://igmcs.utk.edu/departments)
- Master’s-level students complete 3 credit hours in their major and 3 credit hours each from two other disciplines
- Doctoral students complete 6 credit hours in their major and 9 credit hours from two other disciplines with a minimum of 3 credit hours from each
- Courses are selected in consultation with the major professor and/or guidance committee
- See the IGMCS web site for a full list of eligible courses
- The list of eligible departments and courses is subject to change, and the IGMCS committee is in an ongoing effort to expand the IGMCS to more departments and colleges. For the most up-to-date course information, please refer to the IGMCS website.
- Students must apply to the minor through the IGMCS program committee and complete the IGMCS Student Form. Please visit the IGMCS requirements page for guidance.