Jun 19, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Biological Sciences Major, BS – Microbiology Concentration

The biological sciences major offers concentrations in biochemistry and cellular and molecular biology; ecology and evolutionary biology; and microbiology.

Continuing, returning, and transfer students must meet progression requirements before declaring a major in biological sciences.

To declare biological sciences as a major, students must have an overall GPA of 2.0, be in good academic standing and have completed CHEM 120 *-CHEM 130 * and BIOL 150 * or BIOL 113 * with a minimum grade of C. Although completion of either BIOL 113 *-BIOL 114 *-BIOL 115 * or BIOL 150 *-BIOL 160 *-BIOL 159 * are permissible as prerequisites to the major, the faculty encourage students to take BIOL 150 *-BIOL 160 *-BIOL 159 *, particularly if they anticipate a career in a health profession.

College Requirements

Arts and Sciences   


A minimum grade of C must be earned in all prerequisites.

Microbiology Concentration

The concentration consists of 32 hours.

II. Upper-Division Courses

B. Select 6 additional hours:


 Three credit hours from the following courses, if not previously taken as a prerequisite course, may be substituted for a List B course:

Honors Option – Microbiology Concentration

An honors option is offered to selected students who have completed the required 300-level microbiology courses. In addition to the requirements for the biological sciences major – microbiology concentration, an honors option requires: 

  • A minimum GPA of 3.3 in microbiology concentration courses.
  • A minimum GPA of 3.25 for all UTK courses (this is a University requirement for an honors degree).
  • Completion of two semesters of independent research taken as MICR 401  and MICR 402 .
  • An honors thesis based on the independent research project undertaken during MICR 401  and MICR 402 .
  • Twelve hours of honors coursework which must include at least 6 hours of 400-level microbiology courses via honors-by-contract. Neither MICR 401  nor MICR 402  can be taken as honors-by-contract.



* Meets University General Education Requirement