Jun 19, 2024  
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog 
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Secondary Education Minor

Students interested in becoming secondary school teachers (Grades 7-12) in English, social sciences, foreign languages, or English as a Second Language earn a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in the College of Arts and Sciences (e.g., English, history, etc.). While completing requirements for the baccalaureate degree, students are encouraged to complete a minor in secondary education.

Students interested in becoming secondary school teachers (Grades 7-12) in mathematics or the sciences participate in the VolsTeach program associated with their academic major.


Students pursuing a major in selected programs in the College of Arts and Sciences are eligible to participate in the University’s VolsTeach program (http://volsteach.utk.edu/), which permits students to simultaneously complete a major in mathematics or science and receive secondary education teaching licensure within this 4 year undergraduate degree minor. For more information about VolsTeach, including advising associated with teaching licensure requirements, contact the Center for Enhancing Education in Mathematics and Science (101 Greve Hall).

Maintaining Good Academic Standing in Teacher Education

To maintain good standing in the Teacher Education Program and to qualify for a degree and/or licensure as a teacher, students must perform adequately both in the university classroom and in the school(s). Students must maintain a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA, establish and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in their major, and maintain a minimum 2.8 GPA (course grade C or higher required) in professional education courses.

Complete information on the teacher licensure program is available through the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences’ website (http://cehhs.utk.edu/), the college’s Office of Student Services – Bailey Education Complex, A332, or from teaching area faculty.

Post-Baccalaureate Professional Year (24 graduate hours)

The following courses are taken during the post-baccalaureate professional year. Students must apply to and be admitted by the Office of Graduate and International Admissions prior to registration. Teacher licensure is granted at the successful completion of the professional year; 12 additional hours may be taken to complete the master’s degree. For details, see the Graduate Catalog.

EDUC 574
EDUC 575
EDUC 591
REED 461 

Specialty Studies chosen from:

ENED 459 
FLED 455 
SSCE 454