Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    University of Tennessee, Knoxville
    Feb 07, 2023  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Major Requirements  

Minor Requirements

Charles S. Feigerle, Head

Baker, D.C. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Ohio State
Barnes, C.E., PhD – Stanford
Bartmess, J.E., PhD – Northwestern
Bursten, B.E. (Distinguished Professor), PhD – Wisconsin
Compton, R.N. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Tennessee
Dadmun, M.D. (Joint Faculty), PhD – Massachusetts
Feigerle, C.S., PhD – Colorado
Guiochon, G.A. (Distinguished Scientist, Science Alliance Center of Excellence), PhD – Paris (France)
Hinde, R.J. (Associate Dean), PhD – Chicago
Kabalka G.W. (Robert H. Cole Professor, Alumni Distinguished Service Professor), PhD – Purdue
Kilbey II, S.M., PhD – Minnesota
Kovac, J.D., PhD – Yale
Larese, J.Z., PhD – Wesleyan
Mays, J.W. (Distinguished Scientist, Science Alliance Center of Excellence), PhD – Akron
Musfeldt, J.L. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Florida
Schweitzer, G.K. (Alumni Distinguished Service Professor), PhD – Illinois
Sepaniak, M.J. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Iowa State
Sokolov, A.P. (Governor’s Chair), PhD – Novosibirsk (Russia)
Williams, T.F. (Alumni Distinguished Service Professor), PhD – London (UK)
Xue, Z. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – California (Los Angeles)
Zhao, B. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Akron

Associate Professors
Best, M.D. (Zeigler Professor), PhD – Texas
Camden, J.P. (Mamantov Professor), PhD – Stanford
Campagna, S.R. (ARCO Professor), PhD – Princeton
Jenkins, D.M., PhD – California Institute of Technology
Vogt, F., PhD – Karlsruhe (Germany)

Assistant Professors
Calhoun, T.R., PhD – California (Berkeley)
Darko, A., PhD – Florida
Long, B.K., PhD – Texas
Roy, S., PhD – Yale

Neal, S.R., PhD – Iowa State
Yang, Y., PhD – California (Los Angeles)

Director of General Chemistry
Barnes, C.O., PhD – Bonn (Germany)

Laboratory Directors
Hazari, A.A., PhD – Tennessee
Smith, L.M., PhD – Northern Illinois

The Department of Chemistry presents to the next generation of chemists and chemically literate citizens an integrated program of teaching and research that will prepare them to respond responsibly to current and future national needs. To satisfy our diverse clientele, the educational program is continually improved and includes research, classroom, and laboratory activities. In addition, we endeavor to maintain local responsibilities in support of the university’s mission for public service.

Students who desire to major in chemistry may select from either of two courses of study – Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Science in Chemistry.

Placement in General Chemistry Sequences

The sequences which meet all of the requirements of a year of general chemistry and which serve as prerequisite for upper-division courses are CHEM 120 *-CHEM 130 * and CHEM 128 *-CHEM 138 *; chemistry majors are strongly urged to take the latter sequence. Courses CHEM 100 * and CHEM 110 * emphasize organic and biochemistry, and may not be used as prerequisite for other chemistry courses. CHEM 150  is designed to increase the chemistry literacy and consumer knowledge of students and may not be used as a prerequisite for any other chemistry course.

It is possible to move from one sequence to another if permission for substitution is obtained in advance. For example, a student who finds a need to complete the CHEM 120 *-CHEM 130 * series after having completed CHEM 100 * may substitute CHEM 100 * for CHEM 120 * with approval of the Department of Chemistry and may then take CHEM 130 *. Credit may be received for only one of the courses CHEM 100 *, CHEM 120 *, or CHEM 128 *.

In any chemistry course above the freshman level which has CHEM 130 * as a prerequisite, CHEM 110 * may be used as a prerequisite with approval of the Department of Chemistry.

CHEM 128 *-CHEM 138 * are honors courses designed for the student who has already made considerable progress in science. Class size is limited to promote faculty-student interaction. Selection is based on ACT scores, high school chemistry grade, and, if necessary, performance on a placement examination to be given during the first class meeting. A student receiving a passing grade below B in CHEM 128 * will complete the year’s work by taking CHEM 130 *.

Beginning students who have had high school chemistry and who have had additional experience (e.g. summer institute study, special research projects, home laboratory) are invited to apply during the summer to the head of the department for permission to take a proficiency examination in one or more semesters of general chemistry. If a satisfactory grade is made on the examination, credit will be allowed for the semester (or course) for which the exam was taken. The Department of Chemistry gives credit in general chemistry to students who present satisfactory scores on the Chemistry Advanced Placement Examination.

Cooperative Program

A cooperative program is available to students who are chemistry majors. After the freshman year, the student alternates a semester in school with a semester in a job in the chemical industry. The program normally requires five years and involves a total of four work semesters and eight school semesters. Students are required to have at least a 2.5 average to enter and remain in the program. Some opportunity exists for students to enter the program later than the end of the freshman year. Interested students should make application to the head of the department at least one semester in advance of the beginning of the first work period. Further information will be supplied on request.


Students pursuing a B.S. degree in the Department of Chemistry are eligible to participate in the University’s VolsTeach program (, which permits students to simultaneously complete a major in mathematics or science and receive secondary education teaching licensure within the 4-year undergraduate degree program through completion of a VolsTeach minor. For more information about VolsTeach, including advising associated with teaching licensure requirements, contact the Center for Enhancing Education in Mathematics and Science (101 Greve Hall).