Dec 09, 2023
The Master of Science degree with a major in Marketing (MS-MAR) prepares individuals with a high level of ability and motivation for a successful career in marketing management. The program uses a combination of innovative coursework and real-world experiences to help students develop the unique mix of decision-making, analytical, communication and creative skills necessary for effective marketing in a digital, global, and dynamic marketplace. The program is designed to be highly responsive to the ongoing, technology-driven evolution of marketing practice, thus ensuring an excellent fit between student preparation and changing industry needs for marketing management talent.
Coursework Only without Comprehensive Exam
The HCB admissions group will perform reviews of student files along with the faculty program leader from the departments of Marketing and Graduate and Executive Education. This group will review all applications and recommend prospective students for admission to the program. The following criteria will be considered when determining applicant admission into the program:
- Meets requirements for admission to the UT Graduate School.
- Holds an undergraduate degree in business (or equivalent) from an accredited program. Applicants with non-business degrees will be reviewed on an individual basis and may be required to complete non-credit training programs and/or additional coursework prior to enrolling in the MS-MARK program.
- For UTK undergraduate students, grade point average and recommendation letters from faculty are required.
- For non-UTK undergraduate students, minimum grade point average and recommendation letters from faculty are required, and additional evaluation materials (such as GMAT scores) may be required.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- All students must adhere to all UTK ethical and professional standards (see Hilltopics).
Applicants (1) with a 3.30 cumulative GPA or higher, (2) who are current Haslam majors and (3) are on track to complete 120 credit hours of total undergraduate coursework may pursue an early admissions option. If granted early admission into the program, such applicants would be able to earn up to 6 credit hours of graduate credit, above and beyond the 120 hours of undergraduate coursework needed for their bachelor’s degree, that would serve to fulfill the requirements for the MS in Marketing degree.
Upon admissions to the program, students will indicate whether they intend to pursue their studies as residential (Knoxville campus) or remote learners (Distance Education). Instruction will primarily be face-to-face for residential learners and online – through simulcasting of class sessions – for remote learners. Program tuition and fees will depend on students’ status as either residential (Knoxville) or remote learners (DE).
Residential students will start the program in the second summer session and generally progress through courses on a full-time basis. Remote learners will have the option of extending the time it takes to complete the program by taking courses on a part time basis.
Procedure for Application to Program
- Submit Graduate School application.
- Complete Haslam College of Business Application Form.
- Adhere to application deadlines and other requirements as posted on the Haslam College of Business website.
- Students must adhere to all academic standards required by the UT Graduate School.
- Students must adhere to ethical and professional standards.
Credit Hours Required
32 graduate credit hours
Core and Sub-core Requirements (32 graduate credit hours). The program requires completion of 32 Semester Credit Hours (SCH) distributed as follows:
- To be eligible for graduation, students must:
- Complete the entire curriculum plan per UTK Graduate School policies as specified by the University of Tennessee.
- Students must have a 3.00 graduate GPA to graduate.