Graduate Certificate Type
Applicants to this graduate certificate must hold a minimum of the bachelor’s degree or equivalency and follow the procedures and regulations for applying for admission to graduate study at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and the Graduate Division of the School of Music. Required credentials for admission to the School of Music include:
- A completed online application submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office
- University admissions application fee
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary studies
- Two letters of recommendation, and a repertoire list
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOFEL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Passing marks are 550, 80, and 6.5 for paper-based, internet-based (IBT) TOEFL, and IELTS respectively.
- In addition to applying to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville Graduate School, applicants must apply to the School of Music through the Accepted portal on the School of Music website.
Final admission to the certificate program is granted following successful completion of a thirty-minute admission audition. The audition repertoire should include selections demonstrating the student’s ability to perform in various musical styles. If distance to the audition is a hardship, applicants may submit a thirty-minute video (public performance preferred). The student must also present a live audition before a designated faculty committee during the first semester of residence.
Once accepted, all students are required to take the diagnostic examinations in musicology, area literature, music theory, and ear training before registering for courses. The examinations are given on the first day of registration each semester, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and concluding at approximately 4:00 p.m. Each entering student should notify the graduate administrative assistant to indicate the semester that s/he intends to enter and take the examinations.
Cumulative graduate GPA of 3.00 or better
Credit Hours Required
23 graduate credit hours
- Private Instruction (8)
- 1MUSC 503 (Solo Class) (0)
- Music Ensemble (4)
- Any MUEN (2)
- Chamber Music (2)
- 3Woodwind Pedagogy and Literature (3)
- 2Music Electives (4)
- Graduate Recitals (2 credits each, 4 credits total)
1Ensemble Participation is required during each semester of residence.
2Classes chosen to fulfill the music electives requirements may include a maximum of 2 credit hours of MUEN.
3Woodwind Pedagogy and Literature will be fulfilled through MUSC 521 – Special Topics.
To receive the certificate, students must:
1) complete the Graduate Certificate Course Verification Form (located on the Graduate School webpage under the Forms Central tab) and
2) through MyUTK, apply to graduate from the certificate program.