The graduate certificate in Mathematics is intended for new and currently admitted students seeking to development foundational math content knowledge at the graduate level. Coursework in this certificate consists of a subset of courses required for the Master of Mathematics degree program. All graduate courses in this certificate are delivered online through Distance Education. By taking the required 18 graduate credit hours of math content courses to complete this certificate, candidates fulfill a common minimum qualification for secondary education math teachers to teach dual enrollment math courses. Dual enrollment courses are defined to be ones that can count for both high school and college credit. Because dual enrollment qualifications vary, candidates should first check with their own institutions and state requirements to ensure that this certificate is sufficient.
Graduate Certificate Type
Applicants can be currently admitted to the Master of Mathematics degree program at UTK or can apply solely for the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics program through the Graduate Admissions Office. Admissions standards are the same for the Master of Mathematics degree program as for the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics:
Before admission to the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics, preference will be given to applicants who have either
- Certification for teaching secondary mathematics in at least one state, or
- Three years of elementary school, secondary school, or community college teaching experience. In exceptional circumstances, part of this admission requirement might be satisfied concurrently with coursework, or
- The three years of teaching experience might be satisfied concurrently with coursework
- Applicants must have successfully completed one year of calculus (141-142 or equivalent) and a mathematics course beyond the calculus sequence.
Application Entry Term(s): fall, spring, and summer
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on all graduate courses in the program. All courses must be completed at UTK within five years of admission to the certificate program.
Credit Hours Required
18 graduate credit hours
Choose 6 of the following graduate MATH courses:
To receive the certificate, students must
1) complete the Graduate Certificate Course Verification Form (located on the Graduate School webpage under the Forms Central tab) and
2) through MyUTK, apply to graduate from the certificate program.