Business Administration Major, MBA (Distance Education option)
Concentration and Options Available
Online MBA concentration – Coursework Only Without Comprehensive Exam Option
Note: Completion of BUAD 503 will require students, along with other requirements to be accomplished virtually, to participate in a short residence period, typically three days, on the University of Tennessee campus.
Applications are accepted for fall, spring and summer semesters. To be considered for admission, the applicants file must be complete
- The online application submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- An online MBA program application
- Transcripts of prior college coursework
- Two completed applicant recommendation forms
- Additional information, including the TOEFL score (Test of English as a Foreign Language), may be required by the Office of Graduate Admissions for international candidates; and
- Applicants may need to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
For admission to the MBA Program, consideration is given to:
- Applicant’s academic record with particular attention to the last two years of undergraduate work and previous graduate studies
- Quality of work experience and other activities that demonstrate potential for leadership
- Scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for those whose native language is not English; and
- Recommendations from professors and/or work supervisors. The admission decision is based on all factors that make up the total application; therefore, there is no automatic cut-off for either grade point averages or GMAT/GRE scores. However, admission preference is given to applicants with full-time work experience after obtaining the undergraduate degree
- Retention is dependent on the student maintaining a 3.00 cumulative graduate grade point average (GPA) in graduate courses taken at UT.
- The degree requirements must be completed within 7 years.
Credit Hours Required
Course Requirements for the Online MBA Program
Core and Sub-core Requirements (45 graduate credit hours). The proposed Online MBA program concentration requires completion of 45 graduate Semester Credit Hours (SCH) distributed as follows:
*BUAD 503 must be taken in the first semester of study
**MGT 596 must be taken in the last semester of study
The Online MBA is a coursework-only option without a comprehensive exam but with a culminating capstone experience in MGT 596 .
While the concentration will begin with the introductory course (BUAD 503 ) and ends with the capstone course (MGT 596 ), students can take the remaining coursework in a manner that best fits with their schedule and finances allow. This flexibility would allow students to complete the program in as little as 21 months or more slowly based upon their individual situations. Thus, this concentration will not strictly be using a cohort system. Leave of Absence (LOA) will be allowed but students must complete the degree requirements in 7 years.
Course electives are offered in focus areas. These focus areas also do not strictly utilize a cohort system, so students can complete the program as their schedule and finances allow. Elective course options are MARK 538 , MGT 595 , and FINC 555 .