The graduate certificate in Research Data Management is intended for graduate students both currently and not enrolled in the University of Tennessee Knoxville.
Graduate Certificate Type:
The graduate certificate in Research Data Management will enable graduate students to develop knowledge and skills about working with researchers to help manage their research data. Research data management (RDM) focuses on all stages of the data lifecycle, including data planning, collection, description, access, use, preservation, and reuse of research data. Information professionals work with researchers in a variety of settings to provide research data management expertise. RDM is essential as funding agencies, publishers and industry increasingly require data management plans, data deposition in trusted repositories, and data sharing. This 4-course, 12 credit hours graduate certificate in Research Data Management is beneficial to students already in a graduate program who want to supplement their courses with this specialization or to those who already have a graduate degree and want to learn more about research data management to enhance their careers.
Interested applicants must be currently admitted in a graduate degree program at UTK or can apply directly for the Research Data Management Certificate through the Graduate Admissions Office.
A minimum 3.50 graduate GPA must be earned in all certificate courses.
Credit Hours Required:
12 graduate credit hours.
Note: Students earning an additional graduate degree concurrently with the Research Data Management Certificate must complete at least 3 graduate credit hours in excess of the number of credit hours required for the graduate degree. For example, a student enrolled in both the MSIS degree (36 graduate credit hours) and the Research Data Management Certificate (12 graduate credit hours) would need to earn a total of 39 graduate credit hours to earn both credentials.
- INSC 563 : Data Management (3 credit hours)
- RDMC students must complete three graduate courses (9 credit hours) in addition to INSC 563 .
- At least one of these courses (3 credit hours) must come from both Category I. and Category II. below:
Category I. At least one, but not more than two, of the following three courses for a total of 3 OR 6 credit hours:
- INSC 524 – Metadata (3 credit hours) (NOTE: requires INSC 512 as a prerequisite or permission of instructor)
- INSC 545 – Scientific and Technical Communications (3 credit hours)
- INSC 562 – Digital Curation (3 credit hours)
Category II. At least one, but not more than two, of the following three courses for a total of 3 OR 6 credit hours:
- INSC 516 – Geospatial Technologies (3 credit hours)
- INSC 543 – Spatial Data Management (3 credit hours)
- INSC 584 – Database Management Systems (3 credit hours)
- INSC 592 – Data Analytics and Visualization (3 credit hours)
Note: These are the minimum requirements to complete the Research Data Management Certificate (12 graduate credit hours). Students may complete additional courses if they wish.
To receive the certificate, students must:
1) complete the Graduate Certificate Course Verification Form (located on the Graduate School webpage under the Forms Central tab) and
2) through MyUTK, apply to graduate from the certificate program.