The department offers a Specialist in Education (EdS) degree with a major in teacher education. This degree is designed for those students who already possess a master’s degree in education. The department offers a Distance Education option for individuals who hold a master’s degree in education and who are employed as a Job-Embedded practitioner. Program information can be found at the Theory and Practice in Teacher Education webpage: https://tpte.utk.edu/edsprograms/.
Applied Behavior Analysis
Social Science Education
Teaching and Learning
World Language/ESL Education
- Educational Technology Concentration
- Practitioner Concentration
- Candidates must complete both university and departmental applications, which includes the online application submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Ed.S. teacher education application from the department.
- A graduate GPA of 3.20 or higher, documentation of teaching or related experience, and three rating forms with recommendations that assess a candidate’s strengths, weaknesses, leadership, and scholarly potential are required.
- All concentrations except for Teaching and Learning require a minimum of three years of teaching or related experience.
Credit Hours Required
30 graduate credit hours beyond a master’s degree or 60 graduate credit hours beyond the baccalaureate.
- Core Area (6 credit hours)
- Must include one course from two of the following areas: adult learning, assessment, cultural studies, educational technology, ESL, instructional pedagogy; or Special Education.
- Concentration Specialty Area (12 credit hours) Based upon student’s background and career goals, students will consult with advisor to select appropriate courses.
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Art Education
- Educational Technology
- Elementary Education
- English Education
- Literacy Education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Social Science Education
- Special Education
- Teaching and Learning
- World Language/ESL Education
- Option Requirement
- Thesis Option Students: TPTE 518 (6 credit hours)
- Project Option Students: TPTE 503 (6 credit hours)
- Related Studies (6 credit hours)
- Must be related to focus of degree and approved by faculty committee
Additional Course Requirements
- Education courses at the 400-level required for licensure are not eligible.
- At least 2/3 of the semester credit hours accumulated in the master’s.
- All of the last 30 credit hours of coursework must be in 500- or 600-level courses.
- Thesis Option: The EdS thesis must be approved by the student’s committee prior to submission to the Graduate School for final approval and acceptance. The student must register for thesis credit hours (TPTE 518 ) during this time.
- Project Option: The EdS project must be approved by the student’s committee.
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Concentration
The Teacher Education, EdS; Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) concentration is designed to prepare practitioners to use behavior-analytic techniques and treatment approaches to prevent and reduce problem behaviors and to increase appropriate behaviors and skills targeted to improve overall quality of life. The ABA Concentration coursework is comprised of courses in Special Education and School Psychology programs. Content in this program of studies is primarily focused on treatment approaches for children and adults with learning or behavioral difficulties and their teachers and caregivers. Completion of the Teacher Education major, for the EdS degree; ABA Concentration requires a total of 30 graduate credit hours.
Admission to the Teacher Education, EdS; ABA Concentration requires a Master’s degree. Admission will be based on applicant GRE scores, grade point average at all collegiate levels, written goal statement, example of professional writing, background check clearance, professional references, admission board interview, and professional reference.
Core (6 graduate credit hours). Must complete the following courses:
Concentration Specialist Area (12 graduate credit hours). Must complete the following courses:
In consultation with advisor, select one of the following courses:
Option Requirements (6 graduate credit hours). May choose a thesis or non-thesis option
Related Studies (6 graduate credit hours). Must complete the following course:
In consultation with advisor, select from the following courses and/or other relevant graduate-level course(s) approved by advisor.
Total 30 graduate credit hours.
*Note: To complete the coursework required for board certification in Behavior Analysis, students must complete EDPY 515 , EDPY 517 , EDPY 636 , SPED 555 , SPED 530 , SPED 501 , and either EDPY 505 or SPED 603 . An international certifying board specifies and updates additional requirements (e.g., completing supervised internship experience, completing exam) for board certification, which are outside of coursework included in the Teacher Education, EdS, ABA concentration.