Aug 05, 2021
The department offers a Specialist in Education (EdS) degree with a major in teacher education. This degree is designed for those students who already possess a master’s degree in education. The department offers a Distance Education option for individuals who hold a master’s degree in education and who are employed as a Job-Embedded practitioner. Program information can be found at the Theory and Practice in Teacher Education webpage: https://tpte.utk.edu/edsprograms/.
Social Science Education
Teaching and Learning
World Language/ESL Education
- Educational Technology Concentration
- Practitioner Concentration
- Candidates must complete both university and departmental applications, which includes the online application submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Ed.S. teacher education application from the department.
- A graduate GPA of 3.20 or higher, documentation of teaching or related experience, and three rating forms with recommendations that assess a candidate’s strengths, weaknesses, leadership, and scholarly potential are required.
- All concentrations except for Teaching and Learning require a minimum of three years of teaching or related experience.
Credit Hours Required
30 graduate credit hours beyond a master’s degree or 60 graduate credit hours beyond the baccalaureate.
- Core Area (6 credit hours)
- Must include one course from two of the following areas: adult learning, assessment, cultural studies, educational technology, ESL, instructional pedagogy; or Special Education.
- Concentration Specialty Area (12 credit hours) Based upon student’s background and career goals, students will consult with advisor to select appropriate courses.
- Educational Technology
- Elementary Education
- English Education
- Literacy Education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Social Science Education
- Special Education
- Teaching and Learning
- World Language/ESL Education
- Option Requirement
- Thesis Option Students: TPTE 518 (6 credit hours)
- Project Option Students: TPTE 503 (6 credit hours)
- Related Studies (6 credit hours)
- Must be related to focus of degree and approved by faculty committee
Additional Course Requirements
- Education courses at the 400-level required for licensure are not eligible.
- At least 2/3 of the semester credit hours accumulated in the master’s.
- All of the last 30 credit hours of coursework must be in 500- or 600-level courses.
- Thesis Option: The EdS thesis must be approved by the student’s committee prior to submission to the Graduate School for final approval and acceptance. The student must register for thesis credit hours (TPTE 518 ) during this time.
- Project Option: The EdS project must be approved by the student’s committee.