Sep 23, 2021
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Dual MS-MBA Program, Business Analytics - Business Administration
The Department of Business Analytics and Statistics and the Master of Business Administration program offer a coordinated dual program leading to the conferral of both the Master of Science degree with a major in Business Analytics and the Master of Business Administration degree with a major in Business Administration. The dual program saves the student approximately 15 credit hours (one semester) over the time that would be required to earn both degrees independently.
The establishment of the dual program recognizes the increasingly complex world of business and the importance of technical and analytical skills in using data to make strategic and tactical business decisions, the complementary nature of the graduate MS Business Analytics and MBA programs, and the intellectual benefits inherent in concurrent study of both business modeling and analytical tools.
Business Analytics — Course Only without Comprehensive Exams
Business Administration — Course Only without Comprehensive Exams
- Applicants for the MS-MBA Business Analytics program must make separate application to and be accepted by the Office of Graduate Admissions for the Master of Science with a major in Business Analytics and the Master of Business Administration.
- Students should indicate on both applications the intent to pursue the dual MS-MBA program.
- After the MBA application deadline of February 1, applications by United States citizens and permanent residents will be considered as space allows.
- Additional information is required and different application dates are established by Graduate Admissions for international students.
- The MBA Program requires a GMAT score for admissions consideration.
- Students accepted for both the MS and MBA degree programs will be assigned to an advisor from the business analytics MS program and another from the MBA program.
- These advisors will be responsible for course approval and supervision of the students’ progress through the dual program.
- A grade of D or below in any core course is grounds for dismissal from the Master’s in Business Analytics Program.
Credit Hours Required
- 62 graduate credit hours
- Dual Course Requirements
- The Department of Business Analytics and Statistics will award up to 9 credit hours toward the MS Business Analytics for acceptable performance in approved courses offered in the Master of Business Administration .
- The Master of Business Administration will award up to 15 credit hours toward the MBA for acceptable performance in approved graduate-level courses offered in the MS Business Analytics Program.
- The approval of courses is the responsibility of the student and the student’s assigned advisors.
- Core Requirements for Business Analytics (29 credit hours)
- Core Requirements for MBA (24 credit hours)
- Six additional hours of BZAN 500-level courses approved by the advisor and for which the student is eligible to register
- Three additional hours of Haslam College of Business 500-level courses approved by the advisor and for which the student is eligible to register
- Program Enrollment
- Students may begin their studies in either the MS Business Analytics or the MBA program, but may not enroll in MS Business Analytics course work while completing the first year of the MBA curriculum.
- During the first year in the MBA program, students register as Master of Business Administration program students. After the first year, any term in which students take a mixture of MBA and MS Business Analytics courses, they are classified and registered as MS Business Analytics students.
- Graduation Requirements
- A dual program candidate must satisfy the graduation requirements of both the MS in Business Analytics and the Master of Business Administration.
- Students withdrawing from the dual program before completing both degrees will not receive credit toward graduation in either degree program for courses taken in the other degree program, except as such courses qualify for credit without regard to the dual degree program.
- The MS and the MBA degrees will be awarded upon successful completion of the requirements of the dual program.