Jul 14, 2024  
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Nutritional Sciences Major, PhD


Study in Nutrition Science at the doctoral level leads to the Doctor of Philosophy degree and is completed in one of either two concentrations: cellular and molecular nutrition or community nutrition. Doctoral study in the cellular and molecular nutrition concentration prepares the student for research and/or teaching positions in institutions of higher education, government or industry. Doctoral study in the community nutrition concentration prepares the student for research, teaching, and/or advanced-level practice in institutions of higher education, government, or the public and private sectors.

A minimum of 24 hours of graduate coursework beyond the Master’s degree is required. A minimum of 12 of these 24 hours must be graded A-F. Exceptionally well-prepared students with demonstrated superior achievement may enter upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, in which case a minimum of 48 hours of graduate coursework beyond  the baccalaureate degree is required. A minimum of 30 of these 48 hours must be graded A-F. In either case, an original nutrition research project with 24 hours of dissertation work is required. 

Coursework (Minimum)

  • 16 hours in nutrition; these must include NUTR 511 , NUTR 512 , NUTR 543 , NUTR 545 , NUTR 505  or NUTR 616  (depending on track and background), and additional graduate level nutrition courses to make up any credit deficiencies.
  • Cellular and Molecular Nutrition concentration: NUTR 616  (or NUTR 505 , with consent of instructor), LFSC 520 , BCMB 440 , and ANSC 550  (or appropriate substitutions, as identified by faculty advisor and approved by the Director of the Graduate Program).
  • Community Nutrition concentration: NUTR 506 , NUTR 522 , and PUBH 640 .
  • 6 hours of graduate-level statistics.
  • 6 hours in a cognate area.
  • 9 hours at the 600-level (exclusive of dissertation NUTR 600 ); at least 4 of these hours must be in nutrition.

Students receiving a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) and without previous college teaching experience are required to take the fall semester teaching seminar for GTAs.